Thursday, May 24, 2007

Coliseum Mountain

The view looking toward Abraham Lake, you can see it threading it's way into the mountains off in the distance.

At the summit, 2045meters and 6.98kms from my van, it did take me 3 hours to get here, but I guess I wasn't moving much, gasping for air most of the time. :)

Peaking over the rocks on the way to the summit, that is Nordegg in the background.

Kramer and I at the top, behind us is the foundation of the first fire tower ever in Alberta.

Kramer cooling off in the snow near the top.

People wrote their names with rocks on the flat part below the summit.

That is the peak of Coliseum mountain, Kramer and I had to hike all the way along this ridge to the get there, the snow was several feet thick in places so it was slow going.

To hike along the ridge to the summit first we had to scramble down these rocks, it was very steep and Kramer had a few problems but she made it down and back up again as well.

Looking back across the bowl at the way we came up.

Another view of the bowl and the ridge leading up to the summit.

About 3/4s of the way up the first hill we came to this rocky area off the trail, Kramer and I stopped for a break and I snapped a few photos. That is Nordegg down below.


Looking down the other side of the mountain towards the East, you can see all the logging that is taking place as well as storm clouds rolling in.


Well I finally did it, I climbed Coliseum Mountain. I've been wanting to do this since climbing Shunda/Baldy Mountain earlier this spring, Baldy Mountain has a road leading to the top though and it is an 8 km hike. Coliseum has no roads and it is 14kms round trip from the staging area to the summit. Coliseum Mountain was home to the first fire watch tower in Alberta, all that is left now is the foundation. The trail leading to the summit has been there for almost a 100 years and was once used by locals of the area to bring mail and supplies to the fire watch tower. The trail is in pretty decent shape and switchbacks up the first mountain at a fairly decent grade for hiking, it does get steeper near the top though. I didn't bring water as I didn't want to bring the bottle with me so that was one downfall to the hike, it was a long hot hike without water and Kramer and I both got a little dehydrated. Once you summit the first mountain you have to hike around the ridge that tops the huge bowl between the peaks and then you can make the finally hike to the summit of Coliseum. The hike to the top was well worth the view and I even ran into some fellow hikers up there as well. Here is a website for the mountain. When I got home I hooked Kramer to her line and went and got the water dish and food dish, when I came back out she was passed out sleeping in the grass and she slept all night until the next day when she started to get some energy back again, she might run and hide when I ask her if she wants to go for a walk now. :) Anyway ride safe and have fun, hope you enjoyed the photos.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed pics very much, climed baldy years ago

Anonymous said...

How long did this hike take you, round trip? 8 hours or so?