Sunday, November 18, 2007

Bike Stuff

New snowtire for my Burley. $15 for a 20" Kenda tire, not bad.

I had to take all the fenders off the bike to fit the snowtires on my bike, notice my reflective taping job.

Another failed attempt at making a fairing, I got the brackets down pat, I didn't buy the right type of plastic I guess, it cracked very easily, as you can see in the upper corner of the fairing. When I drilled the holes in the plastic it cracked around all the holes.

The lower bracket that I made from aluminum strips.

The upper brackets.

I decided to get my bike ready for some winter riding, I wasn't going to but I want to get out a little bit this winter, hopefully if we have some nicer days. I started the day by trying to craft a fairing/windshield for the front of the bike. This went really well until it came time to drill the holes in the plastic, as soon as I started drilling the plastic cracked. Apparently they use a different type of plastic to make commercial fairings. When Tina came home and told me my windshield looked retarded I had to agree and admit defeat. If it hadn't cracked it would have looked and worked much better. The upside is the brackets appeared very sturdy, so I may have to find some different material to make a fairing out of. I also got a Kenda kids bike 20" mountain bike tire for the front of my bike. The last winter I rode I used a Kenda BMX tire on the front and frankly it was just grippy enought, this new tire has really huge lugs that should grip good, I also screwed some sheet metal screws into the luges for studs. When I went to put the new tires on my bike the fenders wouldn't fit, I could remember if I had them on last time or not, I guess not. Well ride safe and have fun.

No comments: