Tuesday, July 11, 2006

POST #200!!!!!!!!! Beaver Creek and Fort Carlton

Fort Carlton from the outside

Just a fencepost, but I like it! :)

Grain elevator in the very small town of Carlton, pop 10 I'm sure.

A beautiful canola field in full bloom.

The inside of Fort Carlton, the square concrete sections outline were all the other buildings would have been in the original fort.

Looking up in the hills behind Fort Carlton.

"Watching" for the enemy.

The boardwalk around the outer walls of the fort.

Beaver Creek winding it's way through the trees to the South Saskatchewan River.

Looking upstream towards Cranberry Flats.

Tina took this photo of me standing in the wildflowers at Beaver Creek.

What a view! looking down at where Beaver Creek empties out into the South Saskatchewan River.


Another shot of Beaver Creek.


In the last few days Tina and I have been exploring around Saskatoon a lot. Mostly because we've never really done it before and we had some time to do it. What I've discovered is that there are a lot of really cool places, right at our back door. So often people go away to a new place for holidays, but they never really bother to check out what is around where they actually live. I was suprised, but out of the prairies sprung up some truely beautiful places. Up around Batoche and the St. Laurent Ferry there were places that I could spend all summer, along the banks of the river. I wish I had the time to get into fishing again because there is what looks like some really great spots for that in and around that area. Yesterday (Sunday) we ventured out to Beaver Creek, it was spectacularly beautiful, the whole river seems to unfold before you, the pictures I took really don't do it justice at all. Today we ventured up to Fort Carlton. The fort that is currently there is a reproduction of the original that burnt down in the 1930's. The original was a Hudson's Bay Company fort for fur trading and it also housed the soldiers that fought in the Battle of Batoche. The reproduction fort is very impressive and from photos of the old fort it is pretty close to what it looked like. We then went down the road and checked out the town of Carlton, out in the middle of nowhere and lost in time, it was a pretty neat little place. Around 5:00pm we headed back to Saskatoon. I'm going to be working again now, I will try to post while I'm on the road, but sometimes it is pretty hard. Please bear with me and check back often for more. Ride safe and have fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the fence post! It is a great contrast with the field behind it. Your other photos are great too.
K.