Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Hmmm...Maybe winter isn't coming

A portion of the Spadina bikeway, it is modeled after similar bikeways in Europeon countries, kudos to the city for trying something like this, with a very large cycling community in Saskatoon it only makes sense to have more and more of these bikeways. I guess it helps that the city planner in charge of bicycle traffic is an avid cyclist, cycle commuter and president of one of the local bike clubs.
Picture from tonight's ride. This is a potion of the Meewasin Trail, it is a paved pathway that runs up and down both sides of the river, it is looked over by the Meewasin Valley Authority, they manage all the land that borders on the river in Saskatoon and surrounding area.
A leftover picture from Friday
This is a statue of Gabriel Dumont in the park downtown, he led the Metis people in rebellions against the Canadian government, the last of which took place in 1885 at Batoche, which is 100km north of Saskatoon
BOOTS AND SALUTES
Salute
To Burley, for making an affordable quality recumbent that is still fun to ride
Salute
To Raceface, a Canadian company that is growing more and more each year, these guys deserve a salute for making the stiffest, lightest and most beautiful looking crankset that I have ever had the pleasure of using, the Raceface Evolve X-type with external bearings I bought recently has been taking my punishment without so much as a squeak, and it feels like I'm directly connected to the back wheel of the bike.
Boot
To Shimano, for pricing their comoponents through the roof and for dual control levers for mountain bikes, really just a marketing gimick, anyone who has them hates them.
Salute
To Sram, for making trigger shifters that are better then anything Shimano has made in years.
Boot
To people who hate cyclist and think that they just get in the way of them when they are driving
Salute
To everyone who rides, dosen't matter who you are, I think it's great
Salute
To the bicycle, what a funny little invention, dosen't pollute, get's you from point A to B, endlessly fun, and good exercise too.
Sorry I didn't get around to posting last night, there was a mountain of laundry to do, and I had to go to a meeting for the mountain bike club that I'm on the excecutive of. I knew this year that I would be getting rid of my mountain bikes, but I still wanted to help out at races and help with trail maintainence work, so I signed up again this year. Tonights ride was one of the best in a long while, it was very warm out tonight with a little breeze that changed directions so I had a tailwind both ways :) always nice. It was wonderful riding along the bike path, the Burley is so silent and when you are on the smooth pavement you can't hear a sound at all, plus with the little tailwind I was just gliding along effortlessly. I'm starting to loose a little weight now, all this summer I'd done nothing but gain weight, because I wasn't riding much due to the problem with my wrists. By the time I got my recumbent a few weeks ago I was topping the scales at 240lbs, for a 6' tall guy that is too heavy, and more then I'd weighed ever before. Since riding the Burley regularly I've lost about 7lbs and I'm on my way to the 218lbs I used to weigh. I'd really like to get down to about 180lbs eventually, I don't even know if that is possible though as I'm a pretty big boned kind of guy, but here is hoping. I just want to say a few things before I go for the night. Thanks to anyone who reads this regularly, it's nice to know that someone is listening to at least a little of what I write. Also I'd like to let our neighbours to the south know that I'm pulling for them with the whole hurricane deal, that must be awful and I hope everyone gets through it all safely. Beyond that, I'd like to say ride safe and always have fun!

No comments: