Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Spadina Cres. winds along the river banks through most of the city, a beautiful road that just recently benefitted from the addition of large bike lanes on either side, you can see one in the above picture, if you ever come to Saskatoon I highly recommend taking a ride or at least driving down Spadina Cres., it is beautifully lined with trees downtown and is very scenic.

The Weir in Saskatoon, it is kind of like an underwater dam. It was built to rasie the water level in the river for the Queen Elizabeth Power Station. It is a popular destination in Saskatoon for people to go and enjoy the river, at night it is lit up with several spot lights and it looks pretty cool.
Went out for a nice ride tonight, quite warm with a nice breeze, just enough to keep me cool. I love going for rides after dark now, the city seems so much quieter later at night, and I don't have to deal with nearly as much traffic as normal. Sorry about the nighttime photo's, as I said in a previous post, by the time I get everything done after work it is already dark out, I'll have to wait until a weekend to post some daytime photo's. A little note about my bike, I've come to notice that people either seem to love it or make fun of it :) It's funny how some people are so resisitant to something a little different, I try to keep an open mind about things and I like to try new and different things out, that is what mostly led to my purchase of the Burley. Speaking of different, I originally was going to get a trike, but I realized that it wouldn't have been practical with an apartment, no place to store it. The only folding trike I could find was the Greenspeed GT3, which would have been cool, but it is way out of my budget. Anyway I like my Burley alot, I already got 350kms on it since I got it less then two weeks ago, the only thing that would have been nice about a trike is that I could have ridden it more in the winter without having to worry about crashing on ice or something of that nature. Recumbents and folding bikes are pretty rare around here, so I get some funny looks sometimes, also I had to mail order both of them, since none of the bike shops around here have heard of them. Anyway, this blog is supposed to be about recumbents, cycling and everything entailed in that, but sometimes I like to talk about other stuff too, so if you are here for the cycling rants:) bear with me, and if not, then you will probably enjoy it more when I get sidetracked. I like to talk about Saskatoon and show pictures of it, it is a beautiful city to live in, if you are ever close by, I highly recommend visiting for a few days and taking in the sights. I was going through my favorites yesterday and found two interesting links, both regarding using a bike for working. I think this is only a good thing, helps the envirnoment, and it is good excercise too. The first link: http://www.bikesatwork.com/ has alot of good info about starting your own bicycle business and the type of gear you need, trailers, pedicabs and much more. The second link: http://www.lightfootcycles.com/ is for Lightfoot Cycles, they make some really interesting bikes alot of which are specifically geared to working hard, they are quite inexpensive for a specialty bike as well. Well I have to go now, so ride safe and have fun..................

No comments: