Thursday, October 27, 2005

My Burley is fixed :) but it is raining outside

My getto truing stand, I took my mountain bike frame and attached a ziptie to the chainstay, it works the same as the feeler on a proper truing stand, also I line the rim up with the seattube so I get proper dish, or very close to it.
Tools to do the job, spoke wrench, grease, screwdriver, and Zinns Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance, which has a great section on wheel building, with diagrams
Last set of spokes are in, the wheel just needs to be tightened and tensioned.
Third set of spokes in.
First two sets of spokes in, two more to go.
Parts needed to rebuild my wheel, I bought 34 DT stainless spokes so I have two extra, and brass nipples for them as well.
It was raining today, so it worked out well for me, I got some spokes at the bike shop after work, this time I got 14 gauge DT stainless spokes, I think DT makes some of the best spokes, I've never had problems with them. I started on the wheel after supper and had it laced up in about a half hour, however I made a mistake somewhere and I had to take half of the nipples off and change the spokes around. Finally I got it set up properly, then it was time to tension and true it. I don't have a truing stand so I had to make my own, I took my mountain bike frame, put a ziptie on the chainstay for a feeler gauge and used that. It turned out pretty well, and hopefully it will work well too. Hopefully I will be able to try it out tomorrow and see how it works. Anyway, ride safe and have fun..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should be looking into a job as a touring journalist for a biking magazine, Your #2 fan.