Wednesday, June 14, 2006

First ride in Red Deer

My little Dahon partially folded up, actually all folded except I usually don't lower the seat or handlebars because they are a pain to get tighten properly again.

Looking down the river at one of Red Deer's bridges, they are a lot smaller and newer than the ones in Saskatoon.

A wild rose growing by the side of the trail along the river.


My bike fully setup for riding.

Well folks, here is my first ride in Red Deer. To put it bluntly, Red Deer isn't a cycling friendly city. It's urban sprawl at it's finest. However like any place there are some little jewels hidden, you just have to look for them. For me that was the pathway along the river, it really is nice, the pavement is smoother then the Meewasin Trail in Saskatoon and it seems to extend a little longer and hook up with a few more parks. The scenery isn't nearly as nice as Saskatoon. Red Deer is a very industrial type town and a vast majority of it's residents are working, not living here, just like me I guess. Everyone is probably doing a collective doubletake right now because my ride today is a upright ride and that doesn't jive with the whole philosophy of the Bentupbike blog. :) However this is probably the last time that it will be on here, even if I can take it with me in the trunk of the car. It is only slightly better then walking, only slightly. :) I took a 8 mile (my odometer is set for miles still on the folding bike) ride and afterwards my butt hurt, my wrist hurt and my shoulders were sore. I may ride down the other side of the river bank tomorrow night, but I think after that I will use my feet power. :) Anyway must go now, ride/drive/live very safe and always have fun, because that is what life is about. Right? :)




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have ridden in Red Deer and agree its not road bike friendly. Seems most prefer Mtn biking so aren't on the roads much. You should see the looks we get, both of us on our Gold Rush's, full bodysocs :) - I grew up in Red Deer but now live in Portland, Oregon. Get up to visit for a week every other year. I still have family there.
Keep up the posts and pictures - I have family spread all over Alberta and Saskatchewan so the pics bring back lots of memories.
Thanks, Edna (vangundy on BROL)