Sunday, April 30, 2006

Burning other things up tonight :)

Here is the flame thrower, err, I mean BBQ. :)

8th Street at night.

Tina and her new car, this is a nicer photo then the last one I took.

Sunset at Diefenbaker Park


Another Sunset photo



BBQ = Free

Mini propane tanks = $12.99

BBQ lighter = $2.99

Two nice steaks = $8.00

BBQ Sauce = $1.99

Pain and agravation caused by not having a clue what you are doing = priceless


My parents gave us a table top BBQ around Christmas time, since then it has sat in the trunk of my car. Finally I decided it was time to take it out and maybe try to use it to grill some steaks for supper, it doesn't matter that I've never even operated a BBQ before and have no idea how to hook up the propane lines, light it, or half decently cook something on it. I didn't look inside the BBQ, otherwise I would have discovered that the were hoses for it in there, so I bought a hose for it, which also didn't fit the propane tank I bought at all, note to self: bring back hose to Superstore for a refund tomorrow. I finally got it all hook up and screwed the propane bottle on the end, next up was lighting it. The instructions on the lid said to put the lighter in the match hole and turn the propane on high. I couldn't find the match hole, so I stuck the light in what I thought should be the match hole, in retrospect the match hole wouldn't likely be situated next to the propane line and wooden carry handle of the BBQ. So I ignited the lighter and stuck it in the hole, then I turned the control knob to high and the entire side of the BBQ became engulfed in flames. Obviously I was a bit nervous because of the propane line and tank right there. I quickly took the tank off and it was still burning, so I ran inside and Tina was filling up the water jug for the fridge, so I grabbed it from her, then ran outside again and dumped the water all over the BBQ. At the exact same time the owner of the apartment building drove up and witnessed then entire thing, I felt like an idiot. Tina pointed out the match hole in the other side of the BBQ (the BBQ incurred little damage beyond a scorched handle on one side) and I tightned all the fittings on the propane lines just for safety. This time I did it right but it didn't light, you are supposed to wait five minutes to light it again, but of course I didn't, it still didn't light. Finally on the third try it lit and a big fire ball blew out of the BBQ and nearly singed my eyebrows off. At last it was lit and I put the steaks on to grill. I'm happy to report that the BBQ actually works good and our steaks turned out pretty good, plus I learned some good tips for next time I try to operate the BBQ. Anyway, ride safe and have fun, and read the instructions on the new BBQ before using it, don't learn the hard way. Tomorrow I'm going to ride to the Farmer's Market and see if I can find some tomato plants for our balcony, watch for photos!


No comments: