Thursday, April 27, 2006

My Last Day of Work!!!

Diefenbaker Park, it's really starting to bud out and look nice.

No it isn't ancient Mayan ruins :) it is the sled hill in Diefenbaker Park, they terraced the back of it to keep the dirt from eroding.

Doing a little mountain biking here, down the trail to Gabriel Dumont Park.

The gravel pathway through Gabriel Dumont Park.


I know it's spring, the Canadian geese are back to the river again.



I'm posting this after work because Blogger was being annoying earlier, I tried to upload my photos for probably 30 mins this afternoon, finally I had to give up and go to work. It was beautiful out today, around 20 degrees Celsius and a little warm breeze. I went to the James Wood Library branch by our place to take some magazines back and then I got some more. After that I decided to make a ride out of it and head over to Diefenbaker Park and Gabriel Dumont Park. Overall I managed to do just a little over 20kms of riding today, I'm now at over 1700kms since I got the bike in September. I hoped to have more on it by now, but I'm doing not bad, I put 400kms on in the last few weeks. I like riding through Gabriel Dumont Park for a reason, when I first moved to the city after high school I was on night shift like I am now. I would watch movies everyday and not do much else, by spring time I had gained a fair amount of weight and I was getting sick of watching movies all the time. I had been think of buying a bike for a while so I bought Bicycling Magazine's Buyer's Guide. In there I spotted the Trek 4300 Disc, which was a entry level mountain bike that Trek had just came out with that year. I fell in love with it, but I was a little put off by the $600 price. I went to a few bike shops and noticed that most the mountain bikes were pretty expensive. I then went to a Trek dealer and they had a 4300 in stock in my size. I test rode it and loved it, so I bought it. Gabriel Dumont Park was very close to my apartment at the time, about 6 kms away, so everyday I would ride over there and ride down the pathway through the park. Generally I would come home totally pooped and be tired for the rest of the day. Eventually I got in better shape though and I lost some weight too, then I moved on to a road bike and several other mountain bikes. Now a ride through the park is just a slight detour on my daily ride which is a lot longer now then it used to be in those days. Today was my last day of work, my boss walked me out a hour early with pay which was his parting gift to me, it was pretty nice of him. I think I will miss all the great people I've worked with in my 4 1/2 years at CNH, I'm sure there will be some good people at my new place too. I was excited and kind of scared too, I've been with CNH since high school and it was my first real full time job, it's been a long time and it is a big change to leave now. But, as they say, life must go on.....Tomorrow I'm going riding with Leo, we will even be going on a ferry ride, bet you didn't think they had ferries on the prairies? Well they do, and I will take some photos to put on here tomorrow, so check back in tomorrow for details. Until then, ride safe, and have fun too!

No comments: