Monday, February 27, 2006

Mr. Fixit

My method of taking the pedal apart, there is actually a small wrench that you can buy to grip the plastic part at the end, but I just used the visegrips. I have the screwdriver stuck through the pedal for leverage.

The pedal on my bike, it's very rusty but it still seems to function okay.

.
The pedal all torn apart. That is the bearing assembly at the end with a bearing race and jamnut on the very end of the axel. I took the bearing apart and greased it, then reassembled it and adjusted the races so it is nice and smooth again.



It's been a while now that my pedals have had what felt like loose bearings. When you grabbed them they wiggled, I however, never attempted to dismantle them until I talked to a mechanic at my local bike shop and he showed me how to take them apart. It is actually very easy and you can do it on the side of the road with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver. I took them apart, readjusted the tension on the bearings and regreased the whole assembly. Now the Burley has pedals that are like brandnew and I breathed new life into this rusty old set of pedals. I might start putting 9spd parts on tomorrow, we'll see what happens. Ride safe and have fun.....til tomorrow.

No comments: