Thursday, January 05, 2006

Riding again!

Here is my Burley on the Victoria Bridge, which is now just for cyclist and pedestrians. :)


University Bridge, they haven't taken the Christmas lights down yet.




Well today wasn't the best, I found out that I need an Alberta drivers license in order for this company (that I applied to) to give me my Class 1 driver training. Obviously I don't have an Alberta drivers license. I phoned the HR rep in Calgary and spoke with him about this, I mentioned that I would be willing to go for training in Saskatoon, but I can't afford it right now as it is several thousand dollars. He is supposed to be looking into some way for the company to hire me and then pay for training in Saskatoon so I can move to Red Deer and start working right away without training. I'm hoping that this will work, otherwise I will have to really scrape around and find some funding so that I can pay for the training myself. I decided that I had to go for a ride tonight to clear my mind, on my first ride of the new year I managed to log 11.45kms, it was quite nice out except for a great deal of snow which made cycling in some spots pretty scary. Somedays I wish that I had purchased a trike instead of the Burley, in the summer time the Burley is great, very fast and comfortable, but it is a bear to pilot around in the winter, I'm just happy that I didn't get the Ran's Rocket I originally planned on, a SWB 'bent would have been really a handful in the snow. As for a trike, I think a Delta would be nice,
Light Foot Cycles makes a really nice one that even has an area on the back for mounting a container or luggage trunk. I'm really not that sold on the tadpole trikes, I like Greenspeeds because you can have a huge rack on the back, but most manufacturers don't seem to think this matters and don't include a rack at all. As far as I'm concerned, a bike has little use unless it has a rack or something else on it that will hold goods. All summer and sometimes in the winter I like to run errands on my bike, so it is important to have somewhere to carry stuff. Anyway a trike would make life a lot easier in the winter, unfortunately most of them are really expensive and awkward to store with the limited room that I have. I may go riding tomorrow, I'll see how the weather is, anyway I will post regardless so check back in tomorrow, until then ride safe and have fun.

1 comment:

gC said...

Hello again, FLYBYU! I am SOOO jealous of the fact that you can handle winter riding; especially since it has hardly snowed here in the Midwest this year. Of course, if I weren't so motivationally challenged (alright, lazy) and more of an all weather rider, I might give it a try... Love the bridge pics. Well, I better get at it. Happy riding!