Sunday, January 22, 2006

What a Ride!!

On the way home. Look how blue that sky is.

If you look at the LCD on my computer in this photo, you can see how great an LCD display works in cold weather. :)


I rode up to a park in Lawson Heights and took this from one of the park benches.

It is supposed to be nice tomorrow, today the sun is peeking throught and the clouds are starting to go away. It is also starting to get warmer, it was -13C on the beginning of my ride and by the end it had warmed up to -9C.




I had a great ride today, I actually went out while it was still light out :) Anyways I managed to get in a little over 20kms of riding. When I left at around 2:00PM it was around -13C out, on the way home at around 4:00PM my toes were starting to get frozen, but it was also warming up so when I stopped to take some photo's my feet started to feel warm again. If anyone has any thoughts on how I can keep my camera from getting condensation on it when I bring it inside, please leave some comments and let me know. I may have to go back to my other camera soon because the Pentax seems to like fogging up. I've thought about getting some sort of battery powered heater thing to put in the bag and keep it warm. I wanted to talk about putting a bike computer on your 'bent, it appears to be something that a lot of people are wondering about. Most 'bents have a long distance from the front or rear wheel to the handlebars, most cable computers don't have a long enough cable and wireless ones tend to not work to well over such a long distance. I heard about something that I decided to try and it works good, so I thought that I would share it. I use a Cateye Tomo computer on my Burley with a short wire on it, obviously there is no way that it would ever reach the handle bars from the front wheel that is a long way upfront. My solution was to go to the dollar store and get some speaker wire, it only cost a dollar and it useful for so many things. Next I took the wire on the computer and cut it in half, I cut a piece of speaker wire that would fit inbetween the front wheel and the handlebars. I stripped all the wires and spliced the speaker wire to the wires on my computer, then I wrapped it all up really good with electricians tape and mounted it one the bike. My computer has been like this since last fall and it is working fine still, I've never had a problem picking up the signal from the front wheel either. While some computer manufacterers offer long wire kits for their computers, I think that this is a cheaper alternative to ordering a long wire kit. It's supposed to be really nice tomorrow, so I hope that I will be able to get out, check back for more tomorrow. Ride safe and have fun!

No comments: