Tuesday, December 06, 2005

All about the clothes

Well I didn't go for a ride tonight, instead I decided to run on our treadmill a bit, I ran for 16 mins and only managed to cover 1.6kms (I'm an awful runner). It says that I burned 102 calories, so hopefully that helps me a little. I'd like to thank everyone that takes the time to email or leave a comment, it is really nice, in the past two days I've had two people email me with pictures of their bikes and comments, I really love to see other people's bikes so by all means if you feel the need to show it off, send me a photo. I actually got the idea for tonight's post from someone who emailed me today, they were wondering about winter clothing and what I usually wore on a really cold night ride. I thought it would be interesting to kind of go through what keeps me warm out there. First of all you have to layer, sure you can just put a whole bunch of warm clothing on and call it good, but you will likely be sweating like crazy when you get home. I like to start off my layering with something that wicks sweat, so I usually put on my full length cycling tights and a long sleeve jersey, this helps to wick the sweat away from you body. Next I usually cover my jersey with just a regular T-shirt, this helps to cut down on the wind blowing on my chest. For my lower body I have ski pants, these are really warm and if you wear too much under them your legs will be way too hot, so I usually just put the ski pants on directly over my tights. If you can find ski pants with a drawstring waist and articulated knees you are in business and much more comfortable. For socks I use the same principle as everywhere else, I first put on cycling socks and then I cover these with my wool Wigwam socks. Up top I usually just wear the T-shirt and jersey, then I cover these with my Thinsulate winter parka, which is light enough to move in but still keeps me very warm. For around my face and neck fleece is king, I have an open-face fleece balaclava that I put on under my helmet, and then I wrap a fleece scarf around me. As for gloves I just wear a pair of fleece gloves, my hands never get cold in them. I find that my clothes work really well in this weather, but as time progresses I keep finetuning everything, eventually I want to get heated socks and maybe some better face coverings. I will likely be out riding tomorrow night, it is supposed to warm up tomorrow a lot. Until then dress warm, ride safe and have fun.

No comments: