Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Hmmm...It's nice out today.

Heading downtown from Lawson Heights I managed to snap this photo of the setting sun reflecting off the river water.

I managed to get up to the north end of the city today, here is the Meewasin Trail up in the park in Lawson Heights.

An in the cockpit view of the Meewasin Trail north of the University. There is a little snowplow that plows it all winter, so most the time it is pretty nice to ride on.


The Weir in the winter time, there is a lot of ice buildup around it right now.



Well I'm very close to my goal of 1000kms after today. It warmed up to about +1 Celsius and I got off work early today, everything conspired to make it a very enjoyable ride. I managed to get in just over 21kms, mostly on the Meewasin Trail because the streets were much too icy. I realize that people may have been getting bored with photos of the same thing over and over again, I would like to vary the scenery too, but with the really cold weather I don't feel comfortable riding outside of the downtown area, you never know when you might get a flat or something. Today I did manage to get out of the downtown area, hence the different scenery in the photos. After supper today I went to look at my friend's new Dahon Speed TR, it is a pretty cool little bike, I have a Dahon Piccolo and even though I rarely ride it, I still like to know that it is there when I leave town for the weekend, I can just throw it in the trunk and have a bike to ride anywhere. Julian's bike is many steps above mine however, it has Sram Dual Drive, Magura hydraulic rim brakes, a Thudbuster seatpost and Cane Creek bar ends, it is pretty nice. Obviously while looking at it I got ideas for the Burley, the best thing I think would be the hydraulic brakes, I'm constantly having issues with the brakes on the Burley, the long cable seems to suck all the power out of the braking system, and the pads don't seem to work well with the rims, I think that as long as I got a hydraulic line long enough the Magura brakes would work awesome. As for the Dual Drive, it is really cool, but I can't see how it would be any better then my current system, so I will leave it alone for now. Check back tomorrow for more, and remember to ride safe and have fun.

No comments: