Wednesday, November 09, 2005

City of Bridges

Traffic whizzing by on Circle Drive Bridge.
University Bridge
The Vimy Memorial bandstand downtown in Kiwanis Park.
Victoria Bridge, it was built in 1907 and was the first bridge in Saskatoon. Unfortunately a structural inspection was just done on it and it was found unfit for use. It will have to be dismantled and a new bridge will replace it.
Today I went for a ride shortly after work, so there was still a little daylight present when I started my ride. It was pretty cold today so I only managed to get in 16kms. I wanted to take a picture of the Victoria Bridge, it was the first bridge to cross the river in Saskatoon and it is almost 100 years old. When it was built in 1907 it was designed to handle horse drawn traffic and the odd car, now before it was closed to vehicle traffic a few months ago it would handle over 10,000 cars, trucks and small vans per day. Also because the structure is made of iron it is rusting from the road salt on it in the winter. The extensive rust and erosion of it's foundation is the main reason for tearing it down and building another bridge to replace it. It is too bad that it can't be repaired, put the cost of repair would be more then it would cost to build a new bridge and there would be no guarantees that it would work. My girlfriend and I are going to her parents for this long weekend, so I will likely not post again until Sunday night. I found a trick for getting my bike to ride better and be more comfortable. I have the 100psi Kenda Kwest tires on it and if I let some air out so that they are at around 80psi they are much more comfortable to use. So far I have had good luck with these tires, except one flat from a piece of glass that went through the tire. I can't say the same about the rear derailer, basically there is no shifting precision at all, it seems to skip around a lot in the lower gears for some reason. I may have to get an 8 spd Shimano one, but for now I will suffer it out. Also my bike came with a 11-28 cassette, this was a mistake because the spec sheet said 11-32, I would much rather have had the 11-32, but lucky for me I have a 11-34 Shimano cassette in my parts pile, I will change it soon. Over all I think the Burley is a good bike and I don't regret buying it for an instance, it was a good first recumbent because it is so easy to ride, I think that my next bike however will be a Rans SWB bike. I might post a bit over the weekend, but if I don't, everyone have a good weekend, ride safe and have a blast..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really think your pictures are awesome. They are your best yet. Maybe you should get a job with tourism Saskatoon!