Tuesday, November 22, 2005

From 4X4 to sports car.....

Broadway Ave. at night, I plan on taking some more pictures of the Broadway district later once they get their Christmas decorations up.

The Weir at night, they've gotten the lights on again this year, last year they shut them off because people complained that they were too bright.

St. John's Cathedral on Spadina Cres.

The Fine Arts Cafe at night.

My slick tires are back on, and notice that I've finally quicktied my back blinky light to the seat rail.
With the weather the way it's been I haven't really needed the snow tires since a couple days after I installed them, so tonight I took them off and reinstalled my slick tires. As I mentioned yesterday my bike came with Kenda Kwest 100psi tires, I really like them and they seem to be holding up well to our pothole and glass filled streets. Boy switching from the snow tires to the slick tires sure makes a difference. With my snow tires on I was averaging about 17kmph, with the slicks on I average about 22kmph, it is so much easier to pedal. Tonight I got reminded that I shouldn't get too cocky on my 'bent. I was just returning from my 25 km ride and I was flying around a corner into a parking lot close to our apartment, about mid corner I hit a patch of gravel and almost when down. If it wasn't for the fact that the Burley is a very stable bike I would have been picking rocks out of my leg. It certainly takes a different balance point to keep recumbents upright and with the tiller steering it makes it even worse, I just have to be careful in the future. Another fact is when you cycle regularly you can expect to crash once and a while, heck on a mountain bike I've crashed three times on one ride, which makes me wonder why more people don't wear helmets. Sure they look dorky, I'd be the first to agree with that, but you have to decide what looks worse, a dorky helmet, or a mangled face and brain damage, or how about a mangled face and death? So for those out there who don't wear helmets I urge you to stop and think about it for a second, it might make a lot of sense to start wearing one. And for those of you who don't think that you ever will land on your head, I didn't think that I would ever land on my head either, but a crushed helmet has taught me otherwise. Be careful out there, ride safe and above it all, have fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let yoiu know that I've read this. Again, awesome pictures! Talk to you tomorrow, Goodnight.