Wednesday, November 16, 2005

They call me Icebiker :)

Ready to go riding, you don't have to be crazy to do this, but it sure helps!

Riding around on the snow and ice.

My lovely fairing, it's ugly but it works.

My front tire.
My back tire.

Look at all that ice, just waiting for some nut to ride his bike over it. :)

Took this photo off our balcony today, it was just starting snow a little.
Last night around 2:30am I had to take Tina to the hospital, she came down with a really bad flu and couldn't stop getting sick. At the hospital they gave her Gravol and saline through an IV, this made her feel much better and rehydrated her. We were able to leave the hospital around 8:00am. Tina slept most of the day, she is still feeling pretty bad, but at least she isn't getting sick anymore. Tonight I decided to finish off my front tire, I got two of the last 20" bike tubes from the shop by our house today, so I carefully reinstalled a new tube in the tire and all was good. I finally decided to take the bike out and test it. I managed to get in a 5km ride even though it is -18Celcius out there now. I'm happy to say that I didn't embarrass myself in my attempts to make studded tires at all. They performed way beyond my expectations. I rode the Burley over to this car lot that is close by our apartment, the whole lot was covered in a nice layer of glare ice. I rode across the ice fast and then slammed my front brake on (with my feet unclipped of course) the tire skidded for about a inch and then regained traction, I was turning and everything and the bike hardly slid at all, even taking off I couldn't spin the rear tire. I find that it is pretty weird with the studded tires, it just seems unnatural to be riding a two wheel bike on ice, but I have to trust that it works I guess. Also my really ugly fairing works well, it really keeps the cold wind off my legs and upper body, especially my knees which usually bother me in cold weather. Now I realizing that there are no limits to what I can do on this bike, properly equipped it can handle just about any weather conditions. Hopefully I will have some more photo's tomorrow, so keep watching :) Remember to ride safe and make sure you have fun.
PS: be sure to check out the link to www.frozenbike.blogspot.com, a fellow Saskatoonion who commutes by bike all year round, very cool.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really love picture #2. Super good! You're crazy, I'd rather do my exercises inside where it's warm. Goodnight!