Friday, November 04, 2005

It's Friday!!!

I actually didn't go for a ride today, when I got home from work it was snowing quite a bit. We were supposed to go to my parents for the weekend in Loreburn which is about a hour and a half south of Saskatoon. I brought my bike in the car with me as well as the camera, so expect to see some pictures of my parents place and surrounding area up on here soon. I read an interesting article in the Financial Post the other day regarding oil production peaking in the future. Oil is a nonrenewable resource and it is bound to peak sometime in the future, from that point our oil resources will begin to dwindle. When you think about it this is kind of a scary idea, 90% of our transportation system relies on fossil fuels to run. Fossil fuels are also used in plastic production as well as pretty much every other type of manufacturing. Imagine if we no longer could use fossil fuels for all these things, basically everything would shut down. The point that was brought up was why would researchers waste valuable time and money developing alternatives for fossil fuels when they don't have to yet. While this works in theory, when it comes to a crunch, how fast can researchers really come up with an alternative? And why not come up with alternatives right now so that we can at least stop destroying the environment with pollution? Because there is big money in the oil business and nobody wants to be the person to jeopardize those profits by trying to develop something to replace oil. While there is still a lot of oil in reserves and countless amounts still left undiscovered, the fact that developing countries such as China are just now starting to use more and more motorized vehicles and equipments means that oil production will have to grow exponentially to keep up with the growing demand. I like to think that we can all do our part and help reduce oil consumption, but really people are so ingrained in the car culture that it is hard to convince people that they need to use their cars less. But maybe just think about this stat that I heard recently. If we all stopped using fossil fuels, driving, etc right now, it would take 150 years to get the earth back to the same condition it was in 1900. Also just a fun fact for everyone, the average person takes in more information in a day then a person in medieval times did in 18 years. I'll try to post some photo's tomorrow if I can get my camera to work on my parents computer. Until then ride safe and have fun.

No comments: