Sunday, November 27, 2005

Slippery out there!

I believe that in a previous post I took a photo of the Weir from the west side of the river in the dark, here is another photo of the Weir, this time from my side of the river (east) and in the daytime.


I was heading back from Circle Drive bridge when I decided to stop and take this photo of the Meewasin pathway, you can see how overcast and grey it was out today.

My friend Leo harnessing up the bikes in front of City Perk coffee shop.




Yesterday I had arranged to go on a ride with my friend Leo, we were going to head out of town for a longer ride. This morning when I woke up I looked out the window and the pavement looked wet, the only problem was that it was too cold to be water, it had rained the night before and it had frozen into a sheet of ice on the road. We decided to wait until afternoon and see how it was. I didn't think that it would thaw because it was too cold out, so I spent the time reinstalling my studded tires. In the process of installing the studded tires I noticed that my bearings were tight in the front hub and loose in the rear hub, so I took them both apart, greased them and then retighten the bearings up again. I figured that having freshly grease hubs might make up for the added friction of the big snow tires, but it didn't. :) Around 12:30pm I phoned Leo and we decided to meet at City Perk coffee shop downtown and see how the weather turn out. It took me 27mins to ride 6 kms to the coffee shop because of all the ice on the road, and with the snow tires I'm quit slow. In a previous post I mentioned that I had taken most of the studs out of the back tire to prevent flats, so now there is only studs around the sides of the tire, this doesn't work nearly as well as it used too, but when the tire starts to slip they generally grab hold when it leans over enough for them to touch the ground. I managed to make it to the coffee shop without wiping out, although I slid around a few times. We sat at the coffee shop for a while and then decided to go for a little ride around town because it seemed unsafe to go out of town in this weather. When we got outside I noticed that it had gotten alot colder out while we were inside. We headed up to Circle Drive bridge and I basically did the same loop that I did yesterday, except today I was freezing the entire time. I got some more strange looks today, but today I can't really blame them :) Anyway I'm thinking that it may be a little crazy riding around in this weather, but it still beats sitting on the couch, clears the mind too, I notice that I have some good ideas when I'm riding, which I usually forget by the time I get home, sometimes I wish that I had a little recording device so that I can remember what I was thinking about. Anyway I have my job interview tomorrow! I hope it goes well, I really need to do something different and I think that I would like working on the railroad, lot's of traveling and working outside, I think it would be fun. Totally offtopic, but I downloaded the Firefox web browser today, and after only a short use I very highly recommend it, it is totally free (can't get any better then that) and is better then Internet Explorer in my opinion.
I may not go for a ride tomorrow, but I will still post about something even if I don't, so check back tomorrow, until then ride safe and have fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your job interview tomorrow!